Compare McAllen Electricity Rates
Rates include all Transmission, Distribution Fees and Taxes
How to switch electricity companies in McAllen
- You can switch 14 days before the contract expiration date without incurring an early termination charge.
- You can schedule a forward switch from 45 to 90 days in advance (depending on the provider). So lock in that great rate now.
- Your electricity company is required to notify you 30 days before your contract ends. You can also login to your electricity provider's "My Account" and check your contract start and end date there.
- You may have to pay an ETF (Early Termination Fee). Sometimes fees are prorated (i.e. $20/month) so if you have 3 months left - they'll charge you $60 to cancel early. Other times they are flat fees that can be charged in full when you leave.
- It may be worth it to pay an ETF. If a new rate is dramatically lower. Let's say you're on a 16 cent rate and you've found a great 10 cent rate. At 2000kWh per month at 16 cents is $320 and 2000kWh at 11 cents is $200. You could save $120 in the first month - so the $60 ETF may be worth paying.
McAllen electricty plans
There are several types of McAllen electricity plans. A few of the most common plan types you may encounter are:
- Fixed-rate plans: you pay a fixed rate for every kWh of power you use, meaning you pay the same price for the entirety of your electricity contract. Most contracts range from one to three years. However, if you cancel your plan before your contract ends, you may have to pay an early termination fee (ETF). The advantage of fixed-rate plans is stability and protection from spikes in the energy market.
- Variable-rate plans: Variable-rate plans are great for those seeking flexibility and who want to avoid a long term contract. Variable rates are based on wholesale electric prices. This can lead to extreme variability in prices - and one of the main reasons WE DO NOT RECOMMEND variable rate plans.
- No-deposit electricity plans: Every light company requires a credit check and - if your credit score is not adequate - a deposit before servicing a home or business. For those who cannot afford a deposit or have bad credit - No deposit electricity plans offer a quick, easy way to get your electricity turned on. They generally require a $25 to $75 deposit to get started and then
- Time-of-use plans: Time-of-use (TOU) plans have a fluctuating rate that depends on the times they use electricity. These plans are great for overnight EV charging, or customers who are meticulous about moving their heavy energy usage (washing and drying clothes, running pool pumps, etc) to evenings and overnight off-peak hours (11PM-5AM). But, Time of Use plans have risk. If your usage patterns change - you could have a large bill if you use energy during the hot part of the day, between 12PM-8PM, your rate may increase if you use the majority of your energy during the day and on weekdays.
- Renewable energy plans: Texas' leadership in renewable energy generation means that 20% + of the fuel mix in every Texas electricity plan is made up of green energy depending on the provider and plan. Some Texas electricity companies exclusively offer plans powered completely by green energy, such as Green Mountain Energy, Energy Texas, and Gexa Energy.
- Solar Buy Back Plans: Solar buyback plans give homeowners a way to make money on the excess power being generated from their solar panels. In other words, you can be compensated with bill credits for the excess solar power generated from your solar system. A number of Texas electricity companies support these plans, including: Chariot Energy, Rhythm Energy and Energy Texas
How to Can I Report a Power Outage in McAllen?
Major Areas Served: Corpus Christi, Victoria, McAllen, Del Rio.
Report an AEP Central Outage:
- Call: 866-223-8508
- AEP Central Outage Map
- Get AEP Central Outage Alerts Sent to Your Phone:
- AEP Central iPhone App:
- AEP Central Android App:
Are you moving to McAllen?
Whether you're moving to Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Corpus Christi or Midland, Lubbock, you're gonna need your electricity turned on. Luckily it only takes a few minutes to get everything connected. And the best part is you can compare and shop for the best rate in McAllen and get your service turned on in about 4-6 hours.
Because Texas has a deregulated electricity market. You have the power to choose. McAllen Electricity Companies compete for your business. Your local utility company maintains the poles and wires and reconnects the power if there's a storm or blackout. All you have to do is pick a plan and a start date and we'll handle the rest.
Getting your power turned on in McAllen is easy. If your home has a smart meter, providers can get your lights turned on in 4-6 hours with "Same Day Turn-on". Just enter your zip code to get started.
Compare McAllen Business Electricity Rates
Texas businesses have the power to choose, which allows McAllen businesses of any size to compare commercial electricity rates and get the best business electricity rate. Shopping for your electricity is the easiest way to reduce costs for your business.
We've made it simple. Visit our commercial electricity marketplace, enter your zip, and sign up online. We feature every major Commercial Electricity provider in Texas.
Business electricity prices are based on volume, and the more you use the more leverage you have to negotiate a deal - generally over 10,000 kWh of usage per month.
How do I set up Business Electricity Service in McAllen
- The company legal entity name will be required or your name if you are a sole proprietor
- The company FEIN (Federal Employee Tax ID) will be required
- The energy retailer will run a credit report on you or your business which will require one of the following:
- DUNS number (if available) Get a DUNS number - It's free and it allows your business to build credit
- Federal Employee ID Number (FEIN)
- Owners social security number
- If No ID is available or if credit is not adequate, the retailer will charge a deposit
- You may be required to agree to an E-LOA (Electronic Letter of Authorization) allowing the retailer to pull the historical usage for the address you are moving into
- This allows the retailer to view your business' historical usage.
- If you are a new business in a new space. Estimated usage based on your business type will be used.
Green Energy Plans in McAllen
Most Texas retail electric providers (REPs) offer some type of green energy plans that source some or all of their electricity from renewable sources. When you choose a renewable energy plan, you support renewable energy growth and contribute to a cleaner environment. Power Choice Texas features green energy plans from:
McAllen energy FAQs
Who is the cheapest electricity provider in McAllen?
At the time of writing, the cheapest electricity companies in McAllen are from Frontier Utilities, Gexa Energy, and 4Change Energy Rates change often so it's always a good idea to lock in a rate when you find one that makes sennse for your needs.
Who provides electricity to McAllen?
Your local utility company: Oncor, Cenetrpoint Energy, AEP North, AEP Central and TNMP, distribute power to your home and maintains the poles, wires and infrastructure to power your home. You local utility company reads your meter and restores power when the lights go out due to storms and power disruptions.
How much does electricity cost in McAllen, TX?
- McAllen's average electricity rate is: 14.82¢ per kWh
- The average bill for a McAllen customer is: $125
- The average household electricity usage in McAllen is: 845 kWh
Data based EIA and Power Choice Texas marketplace data.
Who is the Best Electricity company in McAllen?
There are a number of factors that impact how good a electricity company we use data from Texas Electricity Ratings, which rates and ranks Texas electricity companies on dozens of factors include price, rate stability, Better Business Bureau data, PUC complaints, customer service, trustworthiness, the company's years in business, thousands of customer reviews, and more.
How do I set up electricity in McAllen?
If you're moving to McAllen, signup for electricity in McAllen is quick and easy. Enter your ZIP code, compare electric rates in McAllen, and choose the electricity plan that best fits your household needs.
Are McAllen electricity rates going up?
This summer's intense heat in McAllen and through the state caused rates to increase due to high energy demand. We've seen prices come off their Summer highs of 14 to 16 cents per kWH and retun to a new level of 10 to 14 cents per kWh. We do not see long term rates returning to prior levels.
Power to choose McAllen
For many years, McAllen electricity customers had no choice and were forced to buy their electricity from the local utility company. In the early 2000s, Texas deregulaed its electricity markets and gave residents and business customers the power to choose their electricity provider and electricity plans. Enter your ZIP code to search, compare, and sign up for Texas energy plans all in one place.
Electricity Deregulation in Texas
Texans have had Electricity Choice for over 20 years. Beginning in 2002 McAllen customers have been able to choose their electricity supplier. Leading Texas to be a leader in green energy generation as well as benefiting from some of the lowest electricity rates in the US. Deregulation allows independent suppliers access to energy infrastructure, such as the poles and wires. Local utility companies still operate the infrastructure and provide the same service you've trusted and expect.